Saturday, January 30, 2016

Serena Williams: “I’d really like to be a robot, but I’m not” – Eurosport.fr

         Serena Williams seemed destroyed by defeat against Roberta Vinci at the US Open last September. The American, it is true, then eyeing the Grand Slam, unprecedented in tennis for over a quarter century. Saturday in Melbourne, Serena is again fallen high bowing in the final of the Australian Open against Angelique Kerber. A surprise just less than that of Flushing. But this time, at least hot, world number one looks better digest its failure.
       

         Being great in defeat, it is also the mark of immense champions. Once the match point, Serena gave a hug leaning against Kerber, before making him a tribute equally pronounced in his post-match speech. All without departing from a frank smile. We will not go on to suggest, as a colleague at his press conference, she was more happy with the victory that Kerber disappointed by his loss, but … “ Really, I had the look happy? I should then make cinema , “joked the American.
       

Serena Williams and Angelique Kerber – AFP

         Hungry for victories and titles, competitor outsized Williams dedicates a pronounced hatred of defeat. But yes, the first major title of Angelique Kerber, somehow, he gives pleasure. “ I’m really happy for her she’s been there for a moment, on the circuit it has an attitude which many people could learn:… always stay positive, never give up It must be a source of inspiration for that. That’s a good girl . ” Deserved reward for their efforts over the years, therefore, but also in view of the final. “She played so well today. She fought on every ball, she gave me nothing. If I was not to win this title, I’m glad it’s her.”
       

Hlts Final Williams – Kerber – Eurosport

         Difficult to classier than those words. Lucid about the merits of his opponent, Serena Williams was also on his own miss of the day. His repeated mistakes “ from the baseline to net “, she noted. As a symbol, it is also yet another error on the fly that it has completed the final. It denies, however the assumption of excessive nervousness during the encounter. Yet she appeared terribly tense until the beginning of the second set. “ No, I was tense before but not during. There was so much intensity, I do not have time to be nervous .”
       


              I really try to win every time, to win every point, even, but we must be realistic, I can not
           “

         So why these 23 unforced errors in the first set? This efficient service so much less than usual, both at first and second ball? “ I would really be a robot, but I’m not. I try … ” jokes Serena. “ It’s interesting she continues. I mean, every time, all tennis experts expect me to win. Whether I win every game, every day of my life. I’m doing my best, you know. I really try to win every time, to win every point, even, but we must be realistic, I can not. If someone else can do very well. I can not. Do I give myself an A today? No, but that’s all I could offer.
       

         The 22 time Grand Slam champion Steffi Graf then wait again to be equaled. At least until next spring. Serena The counter remains stuck at 21 but she left Australia or depressed or resigned. At least this year, nobody will talk about him … As for Grand Slam match Graf, or exceed, or join the absolute record of Margaret Court and its 24 major crowns, he still has time. Serena queue on his 35th birthday, but she is not ready to hang up.
       

         Although some have maliciously noted that she had not said “next year” to the public at the post-final speech. “ Really? I’m terrible for speeches, I always forget something “, joked the American. “ But you will be there next year? ,” insisted a journalist. “ Yes, of course ,” Serena replied. Always with a smile.
       

The highlight: Williams – Kerber Beau passing shot – Eurosport

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment