Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Rugby – Richie McCaw: “This is the right time” – The Équipe.fr

The appointment was expected by the whole country for two weeks. New Zealand wanted to hear the decision of his captain, Richie McCaw. And then the news has caught the third-row All Black. Despite the death of Jonah Lomu, the player of the Canterbury Crusaders had finally this Thursday in the conference room of the National Rugby Federation. “ I hesitated to see my ad , he confided in response to a question. I wondered if it was the right thing to do. And then I said it would allow me to pay tribute to Jonah “After a minute of silence and a few words about the former winger -. ‘ great All Black ” – McCaw has formalized its choice. “ My last match was the final of the World Cup ‘, dropped the leader of the black house.
“Have you realized that it’s over?
long been preparing for this day. But I think I will realize completely until I see the guys get back into training and game. I will not regret my decision. I’ve done everything I ever wanted. I knew at the final whistle, in Twickenham, that would be the last time I put that jersey. I do not really want to stop, but he had to. It was moving.

When did you actually decided to stop?
I was pretty sure by the end of the final it was over. Then, when I got home, it became obvious that this was the right time. Talking with the other five All Blacks who stop, with whom you have long evolved, made the choice easier. I just knew it was the right thing to do. “I never really wanted to go to the South of France. From a risk would also destroy everything I’ve done in New Zealand. “

Why not having played last season in the South of France?
There were several reasons. The main one is that I never really wanted to go there. I always said that if I was a professional rugby player, it would be in New Zealand, because I love playing here. If I want to go to the South of France, I will find other reasons to do so.

And in previous years?
course, I could go there and have a big contract. But I do not want to be influenced by the wrong reasons. From a risk would also destroy everything I’ve done in New Zealand. In addition, here it is possible to have a normal life. People leave us alone and I really appreciate that.

Are you going to invest in rugby?
I do not know how but yes, I will. I want to get to the sport that has given me for fifteen years. But first, I want to do other things. “I remember my first selection. I was next to guys like Jonah Lomu. I was 20. It was unreal. “

You say you want to invest helicopters. Will you find the same excitement that being rugby player?
This is an area that fascinates me. I’m in it for some years. Of course, it will not replace moments when we run to 80,000 people, but it’s not bad either. I look forward to it.

Today, after fourteen years as that All Black, what are the three key moments that you retain? I think
2007 formatted the past eight years. It was really hard, but I think it makes the moments that followed even more significant for what we managed to achieve. Then will I remember my first selection. I was next to guys like Jonah Lomu. I was 20. It was an unreal experience. I was lined up alongside my hero, I watched when I was in school. It’s hard to choose times, but there are, of course, the most recent of them, the victory at the last World Cup. I do not know if these are the most beautiful, but it is those that come to mind.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment