Thursday, April 14, 2016

“With Didier (Deschamps), we agreed for two-three days” on the case Benzema says Christmas Graët – The Équipe.fr

“Why have you taken, with Didier Deschamps, the decision not to retain Karim Benzema for the Euro?
It was a difficult decision to make, you can well imagine. I said and I repeat that I have affection for the boy. But public interest was to preserve the France team, the collective. During the Euro, we would have been in the following situation: Benzema Benzema succeeds or fails. Now this is a group that will succeed or do not succeed. It was time to focus our attention, that of the coach and the media, on the other players. Because it is they who will play, because they are copies, because they deserve it.


“Didier warned Karim, who was very, very very sad “

Wednesday’s day was decisive. How was it held?
With Didier, we spoke several times on the phone, to wedge including communication of our decision. We agreed on the content for two or three days. Our last exchanges Wednesday only served to confirm it. Then Didier warned Karim. He said he was very, very, very sad. As for me, I warned Thierry Braillard, our minister. He was meeting with the Prime Minister. I then called the office of President of the Republic, François Hollande I’m close, and Frédéric Thiriez. It was common sense. Nothing forced me to do it but I thought it was the least polite.

What led you to that decision? The survey Libération March 17, where the name of Karim Benzema appeared in another case as a witness, but he has warned you beforehand?
This counted in our thinking. But what was most decisive is group behavior during the rally of March. We felt a great harmony. On the field, players are so well behaved it was felt that we should not take the risk of compromising the momentum.

“Here, though, he made a big stupidity”

Are you experiencing the feeling of a huge mess ?
first I hope that this matter (of blackmail sextape) lead to a dismissal Karim. I repeat, I have great affection for him. But there, though, he made a mistake sacred. When we see their matches with Real Madrid, who can dispute its value? Some times it may for reasons unknown to me.

Or you no longer wish to address?
I think the media treatment against Karim was too strong. He always had to live with that. Even when he played, the opinion to him, it was 50-50. One day I’ll show you the car of racist letters I have received in recent weeks. Fortunately I do not read them all.

Valbuena? “His challenge is sporty”

Is Mathieu Valbuena condemned, too, for the Euro?
His situation has nothing to do. It was always selectable. His challenge is sports. It is first to become owner in Lyon. We will see tomorrow (Friday, against Nice in Championship) if he plays. We have nothing against Valbuena.

Benzema put aside, do you maintain the same goal for the Blues to the Euro?
It changes nothing. You saw the game against Barcelona Griezmann yesterday (Wednesday)? You have seen young people entering? Rarely has so much talent in attack for France. Frankly, I’m not worried. The objective remains the same. We are targeting the semis or better if possible. “

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment