Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Alejandro Valverde, winner of the Flèche Wallonne: “My preparation was good” – The Équipe.fr

“Yes. This is historic for me. I find it important to leave a trace in the history of such a race. And also to leave a trace in the history of cycling. This race is not the least important of the calendar. I’ll still be here next year. I have a contract until 2017 with Movistar. While I am pro, I will attend the Flèche and Liège-Bastogne-Liège. It’s a certainty.

Tell us about your race …

The sensations were excellent throughout the day. From the beginning, I felt fine. Proof that my preparation was good by focusing on training in Tenerife rather than tough races like the Tour of Catalonia or the Basque Country. The objective was to arrive fresh at Giro (early May) while already in condition for the Ardennes. Today, the idea was not to be confined to approach the Wall. At the start of the climb, I chose my own path by putting me on the right side of the road which is more ” soft ”. I saw that Etixx (Martin and Alaphilippe) were threatening but the 100 meters, I felt that I had the legs to go after.


What do you expect after your season?

Being on the podium of the Giro also thinking of stage wins. But I am aware that I find myself facing strong competition. Before that, I appear (Sunday) from Liège-Bastogne-Liège with real hopes of success but avoiding jeopardizing the Giro. It announces deteriorating weather conditions. It will be hard for everyone. But I will start with the advantage of winning the Flèche. I hope it will not rain. The Tour de France, I will be there to help Nairo (Quintana) without any personal ambition overall. This will be the best preparation for the Olympics, which is another major goal of my season. The course suits me well but I know from experience that such a race to be strong demand but also to have much luck. “

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment