Friday, November 21, 2014

Tsonga: “The greatest moment of my career” – BBC Sport

Package in Serbia in 2010, the leader of the team of France is preparing for its first Davis Cup final against Switzerland.

The memory is bitter. Belgrade in 2010, while Gael Monfils, Gilles Simon, Michael Llodra and Arnaud Clement tried in vain to beat Novak Djokovic of Serbia (3-2 defeat), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was in the stands, with crutches. He had to be a knee reoperation. This time, the Manceau is operational, even if it was a slight warning in early October, wounded in the right forearm. It is he who is responsible for putting the France team on track. Hostilities began at 14:00 Stan Wawrinka face.

Jo-Wilfried, you will play the first match of this Davis Cup final. Do you remember your two matches against Stan Wawrinka played at Roland Garros
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga : With Stan, we have a special history, it is always tight (Editor’s note: defeat 4-6, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 6-2, 6-3 in 2011, winning 6-4, 7 6 (6), 3-6, 3-6, 6-4 in 2012 at Porte d’Auteuil) . We always play in three sets, 6-4 in the third or five sets in a Grand Slam. When I go on the court, I know what will make the difference is the will to win. That’s what I’ll do, I’ll be very determined and try to be the best on the court.

The Swiss have played much competitive in recent weeks in contrast to you. Do you think that the lack of competition can count?
If I have not played in recent weeks, it’s not because I chose it in the first place. What reassures me is that in the past, I have not necessarily needed competition to play well. On the contrary, when I play too many tournaments, I steam. For me, it will not therefore count this weekend.

What do you expect 27,000 people announced?
We expect that the values ​​of sport are respected. We try to promote certain values ​​as professionals, such as respect for the opponent and itself. I think that should be respected, is to give the best of ourselves, we are a player or spectator. We are in France, I hope the public will push us to win this beautiful trophy.

You’ll play your first Davis Cup final, is it different from other games?
Yes, we talked together. It means a lot to me. I watch only the next three days, and I do not see anything that can happen after. I have only one thought: to bring the trophy. This is not only one of the highlights of my career, this is THE greatest moment of my career. I hope I can fight a good fight and that I could take full advantage of this time to be exceptional for me and the team.

Do you feel extra pressure?
course, there is more pressure. When people ask if we fear is what we are talking, we talk about this more than the pressure we feel in the air. For example, there are many more journalists than usual, the public expects more, our personal expectations are also higher. When talking about pressure, we talk about it all. Our ability to play depends on our ability to handle all that extra power.

Interview by Nicolas Cerbelle, Special Envoy in Villeneuve d’Ascq .

face Federer, Monfils to avoid the mistakes of the past

In the wake of the match Tsonga, Gael Monfils’s mission is to beat Roger Federer, the man with 17 titles Grand Slam, he has already faced three times on clay in best of five sets, “ J e do not want to repeat at Roland Garros as I lost dryly (in 2008, 2009 and 2011). I think it will be different, I have the advantage this time to have a tactic, and if it does not work, I am captain and my teammates to help me change. They help me to see other solutions which I have perhaps not thought . “

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment